Can all Plants be Grown Hydroponically?
Growing plants indoors is often restrictive: between worries of over-watering or under-watering, humidity etc., maintaining plants at home is sometimes complicated. Hydroponics appears to be an inexpensive alternative to grow what you want without maintenance!
With Hydroponics, you can grow all kinds of plants: vegetables, fruits, plants etc. Whatever you choose, this guide will give you an overview of the best plants to grow with the Kratky Method or with a Hydroponic Growing System!
Leafy vegetables are perfect for Hydroponics. Why is this so? Because they don't require much water and Hydroponic Nutrient Solution and they grow quickly. Below are the best hydroponics leafy vegetables :
- Hydroponic Lettuce. Lettuce is one of the easiest vegetables to grow in hydroponics. Enjoy green food all year long!
- Hydroponic Cabbage. Cabbage is a healthy vegetable rich in vitamins A and C and also provides the body with minerals such as potassium and magnesium.
- Hydroponic Spinach. It will enhance any dish and provide you with many vitamins such as vitamin A, C or K
- Hydroponic Basil. Basil is the aromatic anti-oxidant herb to grow in winter! Indeed, it boosts the immune system and helps fight against colds, viruses or seasonal depression. Its use is multiple: pasta, with tomatoes, in infusion, ...
- Hydroponic Thym. Whether it is to perfume your plants or to treat yourself in a healthy way, thyme will be your perfect ally! It is indeed rich in iron and vitamin K which contribute respectively to the formation of red blood cells and to blood clotting and bone formation.
- Hydroponic Chives. Chives are good for your plate and for your health! Indeed, you will be able to season your sauces and your meats thanks to it while taking advantage of its antioxydants and its beta-carotene.
- Hydroponic Ginger. This plant with a strong taste will allow your body to better fight against all kinds of bacteria, against fever and it stimulates in a global way the immune system. Do not hesitate to incorporate it in small quantity in your hot drinks (teas, soups, stews, ...)
Hydroponic fruits are numerous. It can sometimes be complicated to grow a particular plant because the weather conditions outside are not suitable. Hydroponics allows you to completely break the climatic barriers and grow them at home. Note that fruits are a little harder to grow, but we will see how to overcome this problem at the end of the article.
- Hydroponic Tomatoes. Yes you are not dreaming, the tomato is a fruit! It is one of the most grown vegetables in Hydroponics, and rightly so since it is sometimes difficult to get them locally. Rich in vitamin C, it helps to fight against fatigue and also allows a better assimilation of iron and calcium.
- Hydroponic Blueberries. Store-bought blueberries are often expensive and of poor quality. That's why it can be interesting to grow them at home! Rich in antioxidants and various vitamins, it will perfectly accompany your milkshakes, smoothies ... Be careful though, they take time to grow and need constant attention!
- Hydroponic Strawberries. Strawberries are a delicious fruit, but they are often expensive! The advantage is that this fruit grows quickly and well unlike blueberries: in 60 days you can expect your first strawberries! You can enjoy them plain or as a side dish, it is a timeless fruit!
How to grow Hydroponics Plants?
As you can see, nothing is impossible in Hydroponics. However, you should know that some plants are more adapted than others to this method.
These plants are :
- Plants that do not take long to grow;
- Plants that do not take up a lot of space;
- Plants that do not require very specific climatic conditions (ex: permanent heat)
Also, the Hydroponic PH will be a determining factor and it can vary greatly depending on what you grow. We advise you to find out the optimal PH for each plant you grow. A PH tester will help you to verify that you are in the expected range.
Finally, some methods will be more adapted than others depending on what you grow. Indeed, more complex plants to grow could make you opt for a more efficient system but unsuitable for beginners (ex: DWC). For a mono-culture, the Krakty Method will be sufficient. It all depends on what you want to grow and in what proportions.
Take advantage of a 20% discount on your first order with the code HYDR020!
Thank you for reading our article to the end, and we hope you now know more about the best plants to grow in hydroponics To thank you for reading, we are offering you an exclusive code that will allow you to get 20% off your first order (min. 100$ purchase).